Joseph Smith is the first prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or in other words, Mormonism. Since this church has millions of members, it is important to know if this man was led by God or Satan. It is true that either this church is true or false. Joseph either has led millions of people on the right path or millions of people astray. It would be a travesty if all these people are deceived into following a false prophet. Fortunately, the truth to the matter is on full display. Let us now see if Joseph was the person he said he was or a wolf in sheep’s clothing. With that said, we will now look into the character of Joseph Smith. We will also look into a number of accusations that are stacked up against Him concerning different translations of the Bible, Book of Abraham and Kinderhook Plates. We will review each one of these things in order to know if he could have been a prophet of God or not.
1. Joseph Smith was a Freemason and brought in many of the same masonic signs, symbols and even aprons into the Mormon Temples. And I quote, “LDS Church temple worship shares an extensive commonality of symbols, signs, vocabulary and clothing with Freemasonry, including robes, aprons, handshakes, ritualistic raising of the arms, etc. The interpretation of many of these symbols has been adapted to the Mormon narrative from their original meanings in Freemasonry.” Therefore, much of what is done in the Mormon Temples are either Masonic in origin or manmade ordinances of man.
Mormonism and Freemasonry (Wikipedia)
2. Joseph Smith had the Nauvoo Expositor Printing Press burned down. This was because he was, and I quote, “criticized for teaching doctrines such as plural marriage and exaltation.” Before more of these teachings of the Mormon Church could go public, he ordered it to be destroyed. This then led to his death in Carthage jail.
Nauvoo Expositor (Wikipedia)
3. The mob that killed Joseph Smith had freemason involvement. They were most likely upset about his plagiarism of masonic rituals. Joseph was caught stealing ceremonial signs, symbols, robes, aprons, handshakes and such, while adding them to His temple. This must have made them very upset indeed. Also, Joseph Smith was put in jail because of the burning of the printing press and that in itself put the towns people in an uproar.
A Masonic Martyrdom: Freemason Involvement in the Martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith (BYU.edu)
Nauvoo Expositor (Wikipedia)
4. Joseph Smith had forty something wives. God counseled against having more than one wife in the Bible but Joseph said that his god told him he was able to practice polygamy. This is in direct contraction of what is taught in God’s Word. 2“Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away.” 4“A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife.” In both of these verses, God says that men are to have one wife. God allows people to choose to live as they want, as he will never force our hand, but those that choose to live after God’s commands are living in His will. Therefore, Joseph Smith’s teaching on plural marriage and his many wives are contrary to God. What is really sick is his marriage with a daughter and her mother. He married both Sylvia Porter Sessions (23) and her mother Patty Bartlett (Sessions) (47). Here is what the Bible says about this type of relationship, 1“And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.”
Leviticus 20:14 (KJV)
Deuteronomy 17:17 (KJV)
1 Timothy 3:2 (KJV)
List of Joseph Smith’s wives (Wikipedia)
5. Joseph Smith changed 3410 verses in the KJV Bible in his Joseph Smith Translation. “Joseph Smith, the first prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, made a “new translation” of the Bible, using the text of the King James Version (KJV). This work differs from the KJV in at least 3,410 verses and consists of additions, deletions, rearrangements, and other alterations that cause it to vary not only from the KJV but from other biblical texts. Changes range from minor details to fully reconstituted chapters.” His new translation was then called his inspired version of the Bible. This goes against the words in Revelation that says to not add or take away from the prophesy. Since Joseph Smith changed the book of Revelation, His name was removed from the book of life, as the prophesy states. 7“For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”
Revelation 22:18,19 (KJV)
Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible (JST) (BYU.edu)
“Why don’t we use the Inspired Version of the Bible in the Church? Would it be helpful to me to read it?” (LDS.org)
Joseph Smith Translation (Daily Christian Devotionals)
Added To The Bible (Daily Christian Devotionals)
6. Joseph Smith translated Kinderhook plates. After Joseph Smith obtained the Kinderhook plates he said, “I have translated a portion of them, and find they contain the history of the person with whom they were found. He was a descendant of Ham, through the loins of Pharaoh, king of Egypt, and that he received his kingdom from the ruler of heaven and earth.” However, it was later confirmed that these plate were a hoax. “in 1980, the Chicago Historical Society gave permission for destructive tests, which were done at Northwestern University. Examination by a scanning electron microscope, a scanning auger microprobe, and X-ray fluorescence analysis proved conclusively that the plate was one of the Kinderhook six; that it had been engraved, not etched; and that it was of nineteenth-century manufacture. There thus appears no reason to accept the Kinderhook plates as anything but a frontier hoax.”
Kinderhook Plates (BYU.edu)
Kinderhook Plates Brought to Joseph Smith Appear to Be a Nineteenth-Century Hoax (LDS.org)
7. Joseph Smith translated the Book of Abraham based on Egyptian scrolls and particularly three different facsimiles. Each of the facsimiles were later examined by Modern Egyptologists and were found to be the book of breathings and funeral texts. The LDS essay puts in this way, “None of the characters on the papyrus fragments mentioned Abraham’s name or any of the events recorded in the book of Abraham. Mormon and non-Mormon Egyptologists agree that the characters on the fragments do not match the translation given in the book of Abraham, though there is not unanimity, even among non-Mormon scholars, about the proper interpretation of the vignettes on these fragments.27 Scholars have identified the papyrus fragments as parts of standard funerary texts that were deposited with mummified bodies. These fragments date to between the third century B.C.E. and the first century C.E., long after Abraham lived.” In the links below, Book Of Abraham Review Part 1-3, you will see this new Modern Egyptologist translation of these three facsimiles and how they confirm what the essay says about Joseph Smith’s translation being false.
Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham (LDS.org)
Book Of Abraham Review Part 1 (Daily Christian Devotionals)
Book Of Abraham Review Part 2 (Daily Christian Devotionals)
Book Of Abraham Review Part 3 (Daily Christian Devotionals)
In conclusion, Joseph was not led by God but by Satan and his angels. He was contrary to God in many things. The evidence is weighed against him, not only on earth, but in judgement. He will pay severely for all the millions of people he has deceived over the generations. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or Mormons was founded upon this false prophet and therefore is also a false religion. Jesus spoke of a time like this. Please read what he said, 3“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” He also taught, 4“many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.” Joseph Smith is just one of the many false prophets that has deceived people. Watch, lest you be led by the doctrines of men and not by the doctrines of Christ, found in the Bible. 6“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.” If you are a member of the Mormon Church, come to Jesus and resign today. If you are not a member of the Mormon Church, stay far away from it. If God has put it in your heart to do so, then warn these people that they may no longer be deceived.
Let us pray:
Oh Lord, I am very saddened to see so many people who I love deceived into following a false religion. It is sad to see them following their prophets of today, unknowing that what they are following is of Satan and not of You, Lord. It all started with Joseph Smith and You know him better than I do, that he was a false prophet. He did not have any characteristics of a true prophet as he falsely translated the KJV Bible, Kinderhook plates, and the Book of Abraham and therefore, the Book of Mormon. I can just imagine, Lord, how Joseph will be judged for his lies. Because of him, millions of people believe in temple ordinances for the dead and marriages that extend into heaven, though these things are only his vain doctrines and their rituals are masonic in nature. Lord, his accusations do cry out and I am pretty sure those that have been deceived also cry out in the grave. May more people, in our day, awake from his false teachings and come out of Mormonism. I pray that You stir up their hearts a desire to discover the truth of God, found only in the Bible. May they understand the place they are now is wickedness and by prompted to come to You for a change of heart and mind. I know that You can heal them. Thank You Lord. I trust in You. I love You. Amen.
Let us read the Bible:
Note: Any Numbered References, found above, are listed below.
1Leviticus 20:8-22 (KJV)
7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God.
8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the Lord which sanctify you.
9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
11 And the man that lieth with his father’s wife hath uncovered his father’s nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.
15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.
16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
17 And if a man shall take his sister, his father’s daughter, or his mother’s daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister’s nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.
18 And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.
19 And thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother’s sister, nor of thy father’s sister: for he uncovereth his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.
20 And if a man shall lie with his uncle’s wife, he hath uncovered his uncle’s nakedness: they shall bear their sin; they shall die childless.
21 And if a man shall take his brother’s wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother’s nakedness; they shall be childless.
22 Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.
2Deuteronomy 17:14-20 (KJV)
14 When thou art come unto the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the Lord thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.
16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the Lord hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:
19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.
3Matthew 7:15-20 (KJV)
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
4Matthew 24:4-13 (KJV)
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake.
10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
51 Timothy 3 (KJV)
1 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
14 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
62 John 1:9-11 (KJV)
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
7Revelation 22:18-19 (KJV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.