Joseph Smith was the first prophet of Mormonism. Let us look at 5 things that he revealed to the world to see if they are on par with the Bible.
1. He was given the right to marry more than one wife.
2. He was instructed to build temples.
3. He was told that in these temples, there would be baptisms for the dead.
4. Inside the temple walls, people could be sealed in marriage for time and all eternity.
5. He was told that faithful Mormons would become gods.
Let us now compare these revelations with the Bible.
1. Joseph Smith was given the right to marry more than one wife. The Bible teaches, “A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife.” Speaking of the church, Paul stated that not only the bishop but also the deacons are to have one wife. In God’s holy church, He would never go against this teaching.
Bible Reference: 1 Timothy 3 (KJV)
2. Joseph Smith was instructed to build temples. Jesus spoke of the destruction of the temple of Jerusalem. “Verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.” And this prophecy occurred, as Jesus spoke, in 70AD. Stephen went on to teach against the building of temples in Acts 7. In that chapter, he also said, “the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands.” This teaching goes against the building up of temples. It is a well-known teaching among the Christian faith that our bodies are the temple of God. Paul teaches, “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” Any true Christian, that reads the Bible, would know this to be true.
Bible Reference: Matthew 24:1-5 (KJV); Acts 7:44-54 (KJV); 1 Corinthians 3:6-21 (KJV)
3. Joseph Smith was told that in these temples, there would be baptisms for the dead. This same topic also came up once in the Bible. Paul actually was confronted by it, when wicked men were found twisting the meaning of baptism. His response to those people that were doing such evil practices was, “why are they then baptized for the dead?” As Christians we leave it at that, as no doctrine would ever be made from questioning another person. People that die have no need for baptism. As “it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment”. There is no second chances to be saved.
Bible Reference: 1 Corinthians 15:1-34 (KJV); Hebrews 9:24-29 (KJV)
4. Inside the temple walls, people are sealed in marriage for time and all eternity. The very fact that his God taught on marriage in heaven, should be a big red flag. Jesus taught, “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.” To continue in marriage after death would deny the words of Jesus.
Bible Reference: Matthew 22:23-32 (KJV)
5. Joseph Smith was told that faithful Mormons would become Gods. As Jesus said earlier, when we die, “we are as the angels of God in heaven”. Isaiah taught, “I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me.” This is a true saying to those in the faith.
Bible Reference: Isaiah 45:5,6;20-23 (KJV); Matthew 22:23-32 (KJV)
As you can see, each of Joseph Smith’s revelations are contrary to scripture. This makes him a false prophet and the church he formed also false.
All Mormonism Resources Can Be Found HERE.
This content will help Mormons know the truth of God and surrender their lives to Jesus.